//

Wednesday, July 13, 2005

My Premiership top 10 predictions for 2006

Chiming in early with some predictions for next season, let’s see how I do. I’ll list my favorites in descending order.

10th - West Bromwich Albion - I’ll start with my sleeper team. I think Albion grew a lot from their scrap last season to stay up. They have a new slate and can benefit from their mistakes now. Zoltan Gera will emerge. They can spend a small kitty and will play above their heads. We’ll see. It was close, but I think Middlesboro will finish 11th.

9th Newcastle UnitedAlan Shearer has something to play for and there is still talent and money to spend but there is also internal disarray. I’m not convinced Graeme Souness is a problem solver. Newcastle needs a lot of focus this season. If the potential problems stay potential they Newcastle can succeed. If not, then Alan Shearer for player coach.

8th Everton – They have a lot to do next season and haven’t changed the team significantly since losing Rooney and Tomas Gravesen. I think the Champions League will distract from the Premiership. Everton could have bought a host of great talent but it’s not appearing. Maybe the offers are too low. Tim Cahill is very impressive, a bright spot.

7th Manchester City – Small bump up if they don’t lose Shaun Wright Phillips; and I hope his brother Bradley gets to play more. I think City will get a small jump from the new Manchester United ownership situation. Maybe wishful thinking, we’ll see.

6th Tottenham Hotspur – It would be a decent result for Tottenham to reach Europe next season. I’m not the convinced that the team is getting a lot better. Michael Carrick is impressive and Tottenham need to spend what they have wisely. The level of play in the Premiership has improved. No more mido-ocre players.

5th Bolton WanderersSam Allardyce is a great coach. Bolton overachieves and seems to mesh often in the most ugly duckling of ways. Jay Jay Okocha was amazing in the 1994 World Cup but he came into Bolton with very little on the doorstep in terms of reputation; look now. It’s nice to see the late bloomers.

4th Manchester United – Of course we have talent and $$. The lost soul gets you a pip behind now. Can the club achieve as it has? I doubt it. I think Manchester United has a lot of soul searching to do and that will affect the players. In my view the defining moment has passed, Arsenal played badly and beat them in the FA Cup.

3rd Liverpool – They will be much improved next year and I think they’ll finish third, but only by a hair. Benitez has gotten Liverpool back in shape. I hope Luis Figo joins; he should already be there instead of touring with Real Madrid. Liverpool have also kept their players and are active in filling the gaps. Things are really improving.

2nd ArsenalArsenal are in second with Patrick Vieira. They need a signing to compete with the new guard. Arsenal will face an even tougher challenge than last season since the parody has increased at the top. Hleb will do very well and Henry will score enough goals to pip Liverpool.

1st Chelsea – I sense a double of some sort for Chelsea. Mourinho knows the value of consistency and intelligent motivational tactics. At Porto he proved able to keep the team on course with successive UEFA Cup and Champions League trophies. Chelsea don’t really need another signing if Arjan Robben is healthy.

I think the top three will be decided by five points. It would be nice to have a repeat of what we had in relegation last year up top.

5 Comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger Football Commentator said...

Yes I do think Robben makes the difference. This is the best player from Holland since Cruyff.

I already made my predicitions for WC 2006.

7/14/2005 5:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Agreed, Robben is the man.

Better than Bergkamp? Physically, certainly. But a different style of player again.

7/14/2005 7:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

chelsea will do it twice at least

7/14/2005 7:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

without SWP, man city are not even in the top 10

7/16/2005 6:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man utd are better than arsenal and with no patrick viera they are sunk

7/16/2005 7:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Borrow Money From People. Low Rates. No Banks. Earn 8-12%. Great Returns. No Banks.