//

Saturday, July 21, 2007

Certainly the weirdest rumor you’ll hear all month

And here’s a bit of a strange idea for Arsenal fans: what would you say to having Formula One kingpin Bernie Ecclestone take over your club?

Amid endless speculation that American Stan Kroenke is not going to stop his attempt at a buyout, the sensational idea that Ecclestone would enter the fray has me scratching my head until I realized what’s on his mind:

"If somebody offers me something I think is good value, I will have a go. I'm interested in anything if it's cheap enough."

Right. Cheap. Like ‘made in China’ and McDonald’s cheap. Cheap, like, I couldn’t pass it up because I got it cheap. Man, after the former Thai Prime Minister, the Glazers, now this, the Premiership is certainly attracting some strange vultures.

The 76-year-old Formula One rights holder is quite rich so it’s not a question of money. But let me tell you, he has had a lot of success in building Formula One over the years but has also built an awful reputation for being a cut throat businessman, dominating everyone around him, and looking out for himself before anything or anyone else.

While Arsene Wenger thinks British ownership is the way to go, I doubt he had this in mind.
The rumor is not fruitless. Ecclestone and Flavio Briatore, currently the Renault team manager, hatched a plan to buy Chelsea a couple of years ago and Ecclestone has a relationship with David Dein. Ecclestone lives in Chelsea and is a reported Blues fan, just to mix it up a bit.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha, what tosh, doesn't he know we no longer have a racing car, we sold him for £16M.

7/21/2007 8:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why bother repeating this absolute bollocks

7/21/2007 11:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Borrow Money From People. Low Rates. No Banks. Earn 8-12%. Great Returns. No Banks.