//

Monday, September 19, 2005

The new Milan

I had a chance to watch Inter Milan the other day and to tell you the truth; they looked a better side than most in the Premiership. I’ve often bagged on negative tactics in Italy but what I saw from Inter convinced me that they are not the dig, defend and sit on a 1-0 lead for 60 minutes kind of team. They are energetic, open and creative. When injured captain Javier Zanetti, who still dribbles the ball thru traffic better than just about anyone in the world, re-joins the team again from injury, I would expect even more flowing football from the Italian giants.

The main reason I tuned in was to see how Luis Figo was getting on after his summer transfer from Real Madrid. He looked sharp and industrious. In fact, its funny, Inter Milan reminded me of the way Real played in the last few years more than the Real Madrid I’ve seen so far this season. Another loss at the weekend for Real leaves then wallowing in 15th place, that on top of their dismantling at the hands of Lyon in the Champions League and like I predicted, Wanderley Luxemburgo’s day are numbered.

For Figo, I imagined a potential scenario of frustration in Italy, but the team plays very well together. Mainly playing on the right, with Dejan Stankovic on the left, he’s got great support from right-back Ze Maria and linked well with midfield. I don’t really know Ze Maria but from what I saw, the thirty-something Brazilian is an excellent veteran player.

Inter Milan is a complete team. Nigerian international Obafemi Martins is a great compliment to Adriano. The quick little striker plays so much better with Adriano than Christian Vieri ever did (and actually scores goals). For a team who, along with Juventus, has never been relegated from Seria A, Inter haven’t won the Scudetto since the 80’s, this is the best Inter Milan squad in a long time and a decent bet to take it.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger Cathal Breathnach said...

I think Adriano for Inter is the best striker in the world, but I also think Fernando Torres is right up there with him.

9/19/2005 7:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Borrow Money From People. Low Rates. No Banks. Earn 8-12%. Great Returns. No Banks.